47 Boulevard de l'Hôpital
An 18-month postdoctoral research fellow position (with the possibility for further renewal) is currently available in Karine Clément’s NutriOmics Laboratory group (Sorbonne University, INSERM UMRS1269) at Sorbonne University
The NutriOmics group (https://www.nutriomique.org/) is an international team of interdisciplinary researchers (physicians, biologists, bioinformaticians, statisticians) attempting to decipher the role of the gut microbiota and their metabolites in cardiometabolic diseases (CVDs, diabetes, obesity, NAFLD/NASH) through clinical and translational research. The ultimate goal of the research group is to identify novel mechanisms by which the microbiota influences these disease states and the role of treatments (bariatric surgery, nutrition, lifestyle intervention) in its modulation. The group is also focused on novel metabolites or inflammatory pathways by which weight gain and loss along with subsequent metabolic changes may occur.
The candidate will also work in collaboration with the Mathematical and Computer Modeling of Complex Systems Laboratory UMMISCO UMI 209 IRD/SU directed by Prof Jean-Daniel Zucker and the ICAN IntegrOmics group (http://www.ican-institute.org/integromics) which is comprised of bioinformaticians and biostatisticians. The groups are devoted to systems biology using omics data and developing algorithms and bioinformatics tools to examine and predict clinical phenotypes research.
As a postdoctoral research fellow, you will:
• Support current clinical work by examining and analyzing data and coherently presenting findings on human gut metagenomics in cardiometabolic diseases, and more specifically Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)
• Contribute deeply to project deliverables and objectives in an academic-industrial project aiming to discover biomarkers
• Write regular EU project work reports
• Regularly present research findings at international and national scientific and project meetings and aim to publish in high-impact scientific journals
In addition, the candidate will have:
• A Ph.D. (biostatistics, biology, microbiology, physiology, nutrition, or related fields)
• Experience in the field of next-generation sequencing, metagenomics, shotgun sequencing, biostatistics and/or gut microbiota
• Demonstrated the ability to handle, examine, and analyze large data sets with biological and clinical information and provide a coherent interpretation of results.
• Prior experience with analytical software and related packages, knowledge of biostatistics, and willingness to learn data pipeline methods used locally
• General or advanced knowledge of biological systems, physiology, and/or metabolism or the motivation to learn these topics is necessary
• Ability to communicate in English (speaking, presenting, and writing)
As highlighted, a successful candidate will have flexibility in performing analyses in a multi-disciplinary group along with an independent and proactive mindset and the willingness to learn new topics as needed.
Candidates interested in this position should send a cover letter, CV/resume, start date availability, a scientific abstract (one page) of their research project, and three reference letters (recent supervisor/advisor required) to T.Swartz@ican-institute.org. For the subject line please use “LITMUS SU post-doctoral position 2020”. Candidates can also direct any pertinent questions regarding this position to this e-mail address. Salary is fixed based on Sorbonne University internal guidelines