Context of the work
The Institut Français de Bioinformatique (IFB; france-bioinformatique.fr) is a national infrastructure of support to biology and health research that brings together 31 regional bioinformatics facilities plus a coordinating unit, IFB-core. IFB is also the French node of the European bioinformatics infrastructure ELIXIR (ESFRI; www.elixir.eu).
IFB's missions are:
1. to set up a national bioinformatics service, accessible to all researchers in the life sciences, in the form of a distributed infrastructure (storage, calculation, software environment, databases, national Web servers, user support, support projects, training, etc.),
2. respond to the rapid evolution of technologies and needs;
3. anticipate future developments in the field, especially in integrative bioinformatics;
4. ensure the representation of French bioinformatics services at the international level under delegated authority;
5. ensure the transfer of knowledge and technologies with the industry.
The IFB is recruiting a business development manager who will be in charge of the following missions and activities stated below.
Missions of the business developer
- facilitate partnerships between academic researchers and the industry sector to develop activities beneficial to both sectors;
- promote the use of resources and services developed by industry;
- orient the capacity for innovation towards the needs of industry;
- promote the activities of IFB platforms for interactions with industry;
- ensure the interface with ELIXIR Industry (http://elixir-europe.org/industry.
- Assist management in defining strategies and orienting the service offer to manufacturers;
- Support management for the establishment of pricing and the contractualisation process;
- Participate, in interaction with the IFB communication manager, in the design of communication campaigns;
- Ensure the operational management of IFB - industry interactions: prospecting, interface with bioinformatics platforms, contracting, monitoring, satisfaction evaluation, reporting to management;
- Represent the IFB at industrial events;
- Participate in the organization of national and international industry-oriented events;
- Organize technological watch and legislation in the digital domain.
• Training: the ideal candidate will have scientific training supplemented by an MBA or equivalent diploma
• Knowledge, experience and professional skills:
o Scientific training in biology / health / bioinformatics
o Excellent interpersonal skills
o Autonomy and strategic thinking
o Listening skills
o Project management methodologies
o Editorial and reporting capacity
o Fluency in oral and written English (minimum C1 level)
o Computer skills
o Knowledge of scientific computing fields (IT, software, data science)
o Fluency in oral and written French
Conditions of work
The post is based in the IFB headquarters, presently located at Genescope, Evry (91), but which will move in Paris, 12ème (near Gare de Lyon/Bercy and Gare d’Austerlitz) in October 2020. The candidate will exercise his / her functions alongside the management and the IFB’s communication team, and he / she will frequently interact with the webmaster, with the direction onto the business orientation and strategies, our contacts in the ELIXIR industry unit, and platform managers. Regular trips to France and Europe are to be expected.